We, as social animals, require connection with like-minded individuals in order to grow and develop. However, relationships with others are only one aspect of our development. Other important factors include your relationship with yourself.
Once you establish a healthy relationship with yourself, you can expect to enjoy, love, and appreciate your own company as well as grow in other areas of your life.
You will never be truly alone when you enjoy the presence of your own company.
That being said, here are 50 quotes to inspire and motivate you to enjoy your own company.
50 Quotes to enjoy your own company
1. You cannot be lonely if you like the person you’re alone with.– Wayne W. Dyer
2. I find it wholesome to be alone the greater part of the time. To be in company, even with the best, is soon wearisome and dissipating. I love to be alone.– Henry David Thoreau
3. The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone.– Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
4. Blessed are those who do not fear solitude, who are not afraid of their own company, who are not always desperately looking for something to do, something to amuse themselves with, something to judge.– Paulo Coelho
5. Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.– Ralph Waldo Emerson
6. Learn to enjoy your own company. You are the one person you can count on living with for the rest of your life.– Ann Richards
7. In order to be open to creativity, one must have the capacity for constructive use of solitude. One must overcome the fear of being alone.– Rollo May
8. The things we experience for ourselves when we are alone are much stronger and much fresher.– Eugène Delacroix
9. There is no other company in the world I’ve found more pleasurable than my own. For no one else has ever been as accepting of me or as thoroughly entertained by my quirkiness. It is a sweet thing to like yourself.– Richelle E. Goodrich
10. Introverts live in two worlds: We visit the world of people, but solitude and the inner world will always be our home.– Jenn Granneman
11. The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.– Michel de Montaigne
12. A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.– Arthur Schopenhauer
13. I find a certain degree of loneliness not only tolerable but deeply pleasurable.– Allen Shawn
14. Your life will get better when you realize it’s better to be alone than to chase people who don’t really care about you.– Thema Davis
15. What a lovely surprise to finally discover how unlonely being alone can be.– Ellen Burstyn
16. But many of us seek community solely to escape the fear of being alone. Knowing how to be solitary is central to the art of loving. When we can be alone, we can be with others without using them as a means of escape.– Bell Hooks
17. Solitude is where one discovers one is not alone.– Marty Rubin
18. When from our better selves we have too long been parted by the hurrying world, and droop. Sick of its business, of its pleasures tired, how gracious, how benign is solitude.– William Wordsworth
19. Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone.– Alan W. Watts
20. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don’t see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.– Hunter S. Thompson
21. Once you know how to take care of yourself, company becomes an option and not a necessity.– Keanu Reeves
22. Spending time alone in your own company reinforces your self-worth, and is often the number one way to replenish your resilience reserves.– Sam Owen
23. The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude.– Aldous Huxley
24. Whenever I’m with other people, part of me shrinks a little. Only when I am alone can I fully enjoy my own company.– Alan Bradley
25. Many people suffer from the fear of finding oneself alone, and so they don’t find themselves at all.– Rollo May
26. I owe everything that I have done to the fact that I am very much at ease being alone.– Marilynne Robinson
27. The sun is alone too. And he’s still shining.– Anonymous
28. Some steps need to be taken alone. It’s the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be.– Mandy Hale
29. If you make friends with yourself, you’ll never be alone.– Maxwell Maltz
30. People are always so boring when they band together. You have to be alone to develop all the idiosyncrasies that make a person interesting.– Andy Warhol
31. Love yourself, accept yourself, forgive yourself, and be good to yourself, because without you the rest of us are without a source of many wonderful things.– Leo Buscaglia
32. The most powerful relationship you will ever have is the relationship with yourself.– Steve Maraboli
33. To have passed through life and never experienced solitude is to have never known oneself. To have never known oneself is to have never known anyone.– Joseph Krutch
34. A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.– Mark Twain
35. It is so important to take time for yourself and find clarity. The most important relationship is the one you have with yourself.– Diane Von Furstenberg
36. Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.– Maya Angelou
37. The holiest of all holidays are those Kept by ourselves in silence and apart; The secret anniversaries of the heart.– Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
38. To love others you must first love yourself.– Leo Buscaglia
39. If a man happens to find himself, he has a mansion which he can inhabit with dignity all the days of his life.– James A. Michener
40. When I am completely by myself, entirely alone or during the night when I cannot sleep, it is on such occasions that my ideas flow best and most abundantly. Whence and how these ideas come I know not nor can I force them.– Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
41. It is hard to love yourself if you never spend time with yourself. ‘Alone Time’ is Necessary.– Izey Victoria Odiase
42. You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.– Buddha
43. People will treat you the exact way you treat yourself. So be good to you. Take time for yourself.– Iyanla Vanzant
life is mine alone. So I have stopped asking people for directions to places they’ve never been.– Glennon Doyle
45. I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone, it’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel all alone.– From the film World’s Greatest Dad
46. Sometimes, you need to be alone. Not to be lonely, but to enjoy your free time being yourself.– Unknown
47. Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we’ll ever do.– Brené Brown
48. Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.– Lucille Ball
49. Once you start loving your own presence, you stop chasing people in your life.– Unknown
50. Being alone has a power that very few people can handle.– Steven Aitchison
What does it mean to enjoy your own company?
Enjoying your own company means loving yourself enough to accept yourself for who you really are. You know within yourself that you are not a perfect person and it’s okay. Because you are uniquely you and your imperfections are part of what defines who you really are.
With this acceptance of who you are, you learn to develop a healthy relationship with yourself. That even if you find yourself alone, there is no room for loneliness. You are comfortable on your own and can enjoy your own company.
Benefits of enjoying your own company
Most people find it uncomfortable being alone. Perhaps it’s the thought that being by yourself is equivalent to feeling lonely. However, being on your own is far from being lonely.
In fact, time alone is necessary for a happy and contented life. As strange as it may seem, spending time with yourself allows you to become more interesting to others.
Why? Because your alone time allows you to discover more about yourself. To learn more about yourself and what makes you tick. To better understand why you feel the way you do and why you behave the way you do.
Having this awareness provides you with the opportunity and freedom to change aspects of yourself, allowing you to live the life you want.
Spending time alone also promotes independence. To think for yourself and not be influenced by the opinions of others. This allows you to act on your own initiative without the need for approval or validation from others.
Furthermore, spending time with yourself allows you to discover what you truly want in life and devise a plan to achieve it.
Finally, spending time with yourself recharges your batteries. It gives you the energy to interact with and be interested in others. Allowing you to better yourself and those around you.
How can I love my own company?
For sure, being comfortable with yourself needs adjusting. You need to practice and develop a healthy relationship with yourself by first reminding yourself that being alone is distinct from feeling lonely.
Here are some ideas for how you can be comfortable being alone and enjoy every minute of your own company.
Same as any other skill, you need to start small in your quest to achieve a goal. To start getting comfortable with yourself, find out the smallest thing you can do on your own.
You may want to stay at home just for at least one day over the weekend instead of going out to seek the company of family or friends.
Do what you enjoy doing
The difference this time is that you’re going to do it alone.
Going back to our previous example, once you opted to stay at home, think of the activities you enjoy doing at home. You may want to start with watching a movie by yourself, putting on some music, and dancing or singing your heart out.
Once you get comfortable spending time with yourself while being accompanied by television or music, the next step is to spend some quiet time by yourself.
Go out for a long walk. Or go on a date with yourself to a cafe or restaurant.
Disconnect yourself from social media
Being alone but constantly on your phone, scrolling through your social media accounts, defeats the purpose of self-discovery.
Focus on yourself when you spend time with yourself. Improve your self-awareness by connecting with your inner thoughts and feelings.
So, it is best to disconnect from your phone during your alone time. Simply turn it off or place it somewhere you won’t be distracted by notifications.
Write down your thoughts
As you spend time on your own, write your thoughts down. It helps clear your mind from any negative thoughts.
It’s also a way of recording your ideas as they come to you; who knows, these ideas you write down might lead to success.
Building a positive and healthy relationship with yourself is an excellent path to success. And in this article, we shared 50 awesome quotes to inspire you to enjoy your own company.
In addition, the article discussed what it means to enjoy your own company. That is, you learn to love and accept yourself as you are.
When you love, accept, and spend time with yourself, you gain the following benefits:
- becoming more interesting to others,
- understanding why you feel the way you do and why you behave the way you do,
- discovering what you actually want in life,
- having the opportunity to improve yourself,
- becoming more independent,
- the opportunity to recharge yourself.
Similar to any skill, becoming comfortable enough to enjoy your own company takes a great deal of practice. But it is possible if you start small, do what you enjoy, disconnect from social media, and write down your thoughts.
Please share your thoughts or ideas about 50 Awesome Quotes For You To Enjoy Your Own Company in the comments below.